Welcome to the Junior League of Greenwich! We are an organization of over 700 women dedicated to making the Greenwich community a better place to live by promoting voluntarism, developing the potential of women and improving our community through the effective action of trained volunteers. We are a 501(c) 3 not-for-profit organization whose purpose is exclusively educational and charitable.
Our legacy to Greenwich, Connecticut over the past 53 years is twofold:
- Addressing unmet needs in our community through the development of capital and sustainable projects, and
- Training volunteers to lead other non-profits and/or serve in local government.
Some of our most impactful projects have been Kids in Crisis, Community Answers, Greenwich Safety Town and the Boundless Playground at Bruce Park. Our members have served as PTA presidents, board members of the United Way and Red Cross, state legislators, selectmen, and thought leaders on statewide commissions.
In 2012-13, the Junior League of Greenwich will continue to improve and enrich the Greenwich community through the following projects:
- Academic and Cultural Enrichment (ACE) works in collaboration with the Board of Education to develop and implement a wrap-around style enrichment program for middle school students.
- Done in a Day (DIAD) works with various community partners to plan events that can be executed in a day to improve a specific area or need in our community.
- Greenwich Pool and Byram Park, in partnership with the Town of Greenwich, works toward rejuvenating Byram Shore Park by incorporating a new pool and an updated landscape design.
- Greenwich Youth Film Festival, aims to give teens an opportunity to participate in a constructive, creative activity which culminates in a "mini Sundance" film festival.
- Kids in the Kitchen, educates elementary school age children and their parents about the importance of healthy nutrition and exercise to prevent childhood obesity and promote long term health and wellness via its Fit and Fun Fest.
- Partnership in Education works with children in Kindergarten and First Grade to improve their literacy levels and develop necessary reading skills to become successful students.
- PositivelyMe! is a program for 3rd grade girls to provide them with the tools to enhance, protect, and support their self-esteem.
Whether you are interested in becoming a Junior League member, volunteering or attending an event, or becoming a supporter, please explore our website and contact our office for more information.
Emily Pleasants Sternberg